Wednesday 10 December 2008

Cloze dictogloss

Idea taken from the book "Grammar Games" from Mario Rinvolucri

Some of you will surely ask what is a Cloze dictogloss... to my Ss it was also the first time but I think that they liked it... and they did some great effort.

Cloze dictogloss -- I read a poem (just once or twice) and students have to write all the words they can. Then, I give them the poem with some missing words (it could be verbs, pronouns, nouns or other words) and with the words they have, they have to write their poem.

Here are my Students' poems (a note: you were lucky because I didn't take pictures ;))
Note 2: Some of them don't make much sense... but that's the beauty of poetry, isn't?

Whenever I see
A new group of buildings
Impatient to grow up
How slow they grow at first.
The kids are so far ahead,
Above-
almost out of sight.
Mahendi
nuno
Nzuzi
David
The kids see the night
go up
You think slow
And talk to grow
The night seemed long.
Joana
Malam
Vera
Rita
Whenever I see
a new sun rising
is so good
Impatient waiting
How slow was at first
The sun so far ahead,
above- the sea level
Almost out of energy.
Then, overnight, the moon shines
There are millions of stars
Up there among the best of souls
Zé Pedro
Whenever I see a new
Block go up
I think us kids
in passion to grow
it slows the
others so far ahead
- almost out
of sight.
(would we reach your height)
Then, overnight, up there
we are the
best of them
we stop on the
top of
our separate buildings.
Catarina
Dora
Francisco
Sara
THE ORIGINAL:
Walking Tall
Whenever I see
A new block go up
I think of us as kids,
Impatient to grow;
How slow it seemed at first,
The others so far ahead,
Above-
Almost out of sight.
(would we ever reach your height)
Then, overnight,
There we were
Up there among the best of them,
And there we remain -
Stuck on the top
Of our separate buildings.
Alan Maley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Carla. I think possibly you should credit Mario Rinvolucri for this activity.
It appears in his book 'Grammar Games'.

Carla Alves said...

You are absolutely right .... usually I quote all the things I put here on my blog. This one slipt my mind. Thanks for telling me :)